Monday, October 30, 2006

Motor city mania

We spent the weekend in Detroit at the international marathon and half marathon. I haven't been to Detroit for a couple of years and couldn't get over the difference. Before we got there, I, Ms. Cheap, convinced Chad to use the valet parking so that our car would be squirreled away somewhere rather than left sitting in one of the sidestreet parking lots that look most unsavoury. But I really don't think I would have had to worry. The whole downtown area was cleaned up and revitalized for Superbowl last year - think beautiful landscaping, charming brick sidewalks, skating rinks and statuary - and now it looks like any other modern thriving city rather than a burned-out hovel. (I was, however, warned that I would know the instant I passed out of this 'renovation zone' - the difference would be like day and night. Luckily this didn't happen, so I can't report on it.)

We had a super fun weekend. After pouring rain and 50 mph winds on Saturday, the weather turned just in time for the race. Chad beat his goal time of 1:45, finishing in 1:44:44. (That's him crossing the finish line on the far right side of the Jumbotron.) Much to the chagrin of the whole city, but to my relief, the Motor City Kitties were knocked out of the world series the night before we got there; if we'd had to fight for border crossing privileges and dinner reservations with several thousand rabid baseball fans trying to make it to Game 6 before the opening pitch, it might not have been as much fun. (As it was, we had an awesome deep dish pizza at Pizza Papalis in Greektown - yum! - without waiting for a table.) Our hotel was great (and Liam loves staying in hotels) - and I picked up Liam's new bedding there - love it - no problem.

Back to the grind this week... this 5 day workweek is wearing thin...

0 comments: