Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Bathtub flotsam & jetsam

Honestly, does anyone *need* this much stuff in the tub? We’re at the point now where there is no visible water surface left – it’s all covered in floating plastic bits and pieces, and further lathered with bubble bath. And, even with all this to keep track of, he somehow knows when a piece or two is missing. He simply won’t have a bath without every last bit of it.

Unfortunately this week, we have been going through some nighttime growing pains. I think Liam’s teeth might be bugging him again, but there is also the problem of the newfound freedom he’s discovered in no longer being helpless to get himself out of bed. Last night, no exaggeration, I must have put him back in bed twenty times after finding him wandering the hall. Finally I gave up and brought him into bed with me (where I was struggling to keep my own eyes open long enough to make sure he was settled for the night), let him fall asleep there (which took all of 2 minutes) and then transferred him over. Two nights ago he was up several times in the middle of the night, so I had thought he’d be tired enough to welcome the chance to go to sleep. Apparently not!

In addition to nighttime problems, we also now have morning problems. Sleeping in his crib, Liam would almost always wake up around 5:30, let out a feeble cry for 30 seconds, then go back to sleep until 7. Now, he wakes up at 5:30 and comes into our room, bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to start his day. Lying down with him in his bed to get him back to sleep sometimes works, but more often doesn’t.

This may end up working out well for me, because my gym attendance has been pitiful lately, and it’s starting to take its toll. I have resolved to start getting up early again to fit it in, because I know I won’t do it at the end of the day. If Liam gets up at 5:30, he is only jumping my alarm clock by a little bit; it’s Chad who will have to be out of bed an hour earlier than planned to accommodate him.

Between last night and this morning, Liam slept 2 hours less than his normal last night. I’d be willing to bet he spends most of today at Cindy’s snoozing. I hope this isn’t becoming a habit.

5 comments:

megan said...

This is exactly why I kept my girls in their cribs until they were 3. By the time they were in real beds they understood that there would be no Dora if they got out. It's too late for this one but learn for your little lady!

Carrie said...

I figure a few sleepless nights are still worth not spending the $$$ on a whole new crib at this point! If we weren't soon renting the crib out to a new tenant, you can bet Liam would still be in it.

Anonymous said...

I think we paid $15 for a second crib when you came along within two years of Steph..........

Carrie said...

If you can find me a $15 crib then I will reconsider the bed. I wish you luck though... I think times have changed!!

Dawn said...

He'll adjust, just give him a bit more time, he made the switch willingly, that is truly the challenge. We used to keep the door open, but put a baby gate in the doorway (and at the top of the steps as a backup) to try to deter them from leaving the room.