Thursday, January 18, 2007

Least said, soonest mended

Yesterday, Little Miss and I had our biweekly visit to see Dr. Bailey (which was actually more like the 7 Month Wrapup, seeing as that we missed the last one. I didn’t mention this transgression, and neither did she.) So what shall I dish first, the good news or the bad?

Well, on the good side, the heartbeat is still high and girly – 152 bpm – very consistent. Little Miss is head down, which is a sigh of relief. I passed the glucose test and blood pressure and weight are doing fine. It’s all sounding good, right?

Then I said something about having toes wedged in under my ribs on my right side, making me extremely uncomfortable from time to time. Dr. Bailey gave me a mildly alarmed look and said, “Really?” She did some belly manipulation, and was able to confirm that the baby’s back is on my left and legs and feet are indeed on the right. And then she said that if I was already getting toes-in-my-ribs syndrome then this baby is going to be huge. Not exactly what I wanted to hear.

When I said just that – that I’d like a nice medium-sized baby please, reasoning that bigger = more painful – she went on to say it’s nothing to worry about now that epidurals are here, and she extolled their virtues to me once more. I am still surprised that she is as pro-epidural as this. I am not against their use in some circumstances, but I definitely don’t plan to arrive at the hospital at the first twinge demanding to be hooked up.

To put this in context, I have to remember that she also initially said Liam would be gi-normous, and then revised that estimate down to pin him as a pipsqueak before he was born. And he was 7 lbs 2 oz, which I think is about as average as you can get on the baby size spectrum. There’s still lots of time left for further revisions. And, maybe Little Miss isn’t really a whopper – she could just be really, really tall. Long and skinny. Yeah, I like the sound of that.

3 comments:

megan said...

Not to worry, Doc Bailey said the Evie was huge (I had the toes in the rib thing as well, not fun) and she was a tiny 6lbs 2oz. Which, let me tell hurt no less then the 7lb 2oz Audrey who came two years later. It is all about the size of the head/sholders that makes any difference at all and really what is the difference? Once you are trying to remove another human yourself, well, there is no way that is going to be a fun time.

Anonymous said...

I had a lot of guesses that Emily was going to be huge. When the on-call dr did an ultrasound hours before she was born to confirm she wasn't breech predicted a 9-10 pound baby.

She was 7 1lbs, 3.5 ounces, 20 1/2 inches. All arms and legs.

I'd suspect the toes in ribs might have more to do with a baby's tendency to want to stretch out. Try not to worry too much.

Anonymous said...

Ah. Big babies. Firstborn daughter of mine was 10 lbs. 3. She had to be hoovered out. Add in some back labour to the mix and you betcha I had an epidural. I would have been utterly destroyed without it.