Sunday, January 07, 2007

More baby shoppin' talk

Tomorrow I am headed back to work (work... what is that... where do I work again? What do I do? - this has been a nice long break!!) I think I have 8 weeks of work left, which is much more than I would like at this point, but I also know it will zip right by. I really feel like we are in the home stretch and there is lots to do between now and the time I go off.

One of those things that needs to be done is getting ready for baby #2 - I mean, really getting ready. Liam has been napping in his new room for the past few days (with varying degrees of success - sometimes he goes down easily and sometimes he gets right back out of bed to carry on with his day). I think we'll start him sleeping there at night soon, too. We may go through several nights of having him get up a million times, but it's bound to happen sooner or later - might as well be sooner.

His new room is set up enough to be useable. We haven't moved over his clothes or all of his personal effects, but we're getting there. As the nursery clears out, it leaves me thinking more and more of what remains to be done for #2 once #1 is officially out. I was reading a message board I frequent last week and this very topic came up - "What's new for Baby #2?"

Here is one of the answers that was posted. Believe it or not, it read a lot like the others:

Double stroller
Co-sleeper
Wipes warmer
Lots of clothes
New crib bedding
Nursery stuff
Pea in a Pod Pouch
Mothership diaper bag
New cover for the infant carseat
Changing table
A second swing
Bumbo


Ummmm... ok. What do I have new for #2? An outfit to bring her home from the hospital, a blanket for those newborn photos, and as of yesterday, a picture frame with a pink mat and a pink gingham nightlight for the nursery. Not much else. And, I don't plan to get that much else... certainly not as much as the rest of the world! Yikes! We have saved all of Liam's stuff and most of it is still in terrific shape. There are a few wants and a few needs of course... and now that we are in the home stretch... yowza, we have to get moving.First up: the double stroller. I have been going back and forth on this one. Part of me was thinking in a few more months, Liam won't want anything to do with a stroller. Then I tried to take him for a walk one day over our break, meaning I had intended for both of us to walk - and he cried and cried until I figured it out and got the stroller out. So now I am thinking we definitely do need a good double stroller, one that I intend to take out for a lengthy power walk every single day this summer, one that will serve us well on a full-day trip to the zoo. There is a total dearth of good double strollers on the market. You can get something flimsy and hard to manoeuvre, or a good solid off-roader that will cost you a fortune. I think we have decided to suck it up and go with the latter... maybe I can eBay it in a few years time??

I am also looking into a sling. We have a Snugli that Liam used just a little, but I'm thinking the whole hands-free aspect will be that much more important with #2. And, I want something girly. I am debating between this pouch sling: And this Mei Tai:

Liam's diaper bag has just about had it, so we'll get a new one... just not sure what kind or what style yet... I once saw one in pink camouflage that I think would be cute... need to see if I can find it again. And then, of course, there is the clothes issue... there is definitely a LOT of cute girl stuff out there. The other day I dug out Liam's newborn stuff and pulled out anything with a semblance of unisexness to it... but I will of course need some frills. The new Gymboree lines are adorable. How cute would this be on another (hopeful) redhead? I was also rather hoping those prints from Land of Nod would go on sale after Christmas. Not so. So now I either bite the bullet and order at full price, or find something else...

7 comments:

Dawn said...

The stuff may not be purchased but at least you KNOW what you want! That's a step in the right direction! My only concern is for the rear passenger in that jogger........doesn't provide a great view? Did you look into side by sides? The one I have still fit through standard doorways....and Noah fought the stroller on occasion, but having the second seat was still helpful to tote all the crap that goes along with a trip with two kids in tow!

Kelly said...

I know it's not new, but did you receive the bag full of stuff I sent your way for a little girl?
Also, if you are looking at the funky slings you should check out Marley & Me when you are in Stratford next time- I remember seeing them there before Jason was born. If I remember correctly they were around $50.

Carrie said...

The view from the back seat isn't stellar, but it's better IRL than the photo appears. My other gripe with this stroller is that if you use the car seat in it, you can't use the second seat. Compared to everything else we've checked out though, it's still coming out on top. I figure by the time #2 is old enough to appreciate the view, Liam will be spending that much less time in the stroller, anyway.

Kelly - no, I don't have the girl stuff yet, but I am going to Steph's this weekend so I will remedy that then... and am looking forward to doing so! Thank you! Where is Marley & Me? - that doesn't sound familiar.

The Robiltons said...

I left the bags at M&D's when I was there before Christmas, and I guess we all forgot to mention them to you - shoot!

megan said...

EEEEK! The baby goes in the back!

Carrie said...

Why is the baby going in the back an 'eek'? *scratching head* I was thinking by the time #2 can sit up and look around, she can be in the front (with the view) most of the time because Liam will be walking more...

megan said...

It just looks like you will have to shove the baby under Liam not behind him. You have to remember I have that 2nd child syndrome and worry that any #2 (not yours, any, including my own) are considered 2nd in all ways, not just birth order, hence the worry about being put under the first born. I know need therapy and perhaps medication. I also have to agree with Andrea, you look great in that picture. How much photo shopping would you have to do to make me look like that? That would be worth some $ to me!