Monday, January 28, 2008

Our weekend: part I

We spent the weekend, as I was saying, at Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls. Our company organizes a trip once a year and I wanted to go last year but, being hugely pregnant, decided against it. This year with Liam being that much older, it made a lot more sense to go. The water park at the hotel is massive, but we only made use of a tiny fraction of it. Though we had our moments of trading off, for the most part, Chad stuck with Liam and I played with Mallory. Mallory and I lounged in the hot tub (kid-friendly; more like a warm bath than a hot tub), the shallow end of the wave pool, and Chipmunk Cove. Chad chased Liam up and down endless flights of stairs, and caught him after endless waterslide splashdowns. Liam might have been old enough to go on one or two of the bigger rides, but he never worked up the nerve, and there was certainly enough for him to do without us pushing him.

We invited the Barrs along on this trip but once there, we never really saw each other. Their girls are old enough to brave the big stuff and they don't have that naptime thing to worry about anymore, either. We did meet up for dinner on Saturday night but that was pretty much it. Cindy was there with her family, too, and Liam got a big kick out of seeing her out of context like that.

The facility was great, and we will definitely go back. Lots of organized activities for the kids for when they get too waterlogged to want to spend anymore time in the water park. The rooms have enough of a kitchen facility that you can bring your own food and not have to rely on the hotel restaurants. Plus, hello, it's in Niagara Falls - nothing like killing two proverbial tourism birds with one stone.

The waterpark, which is always 84F with about 110% humidity, is no place for camera equipment (the people I saw wading through pools with cameras in hand sent chills up my spine!) And, it never failed that right when I was ready to get a good snap, somebody with terrible back hair or in a swimsuit three sizes too small would wander into my fame. Ugh. I did manage to snag a few shots, and I like to use this scrapbook template for any event when I want to showcase an absolute ton of pics. So there's nothing original here, but it gives you an idea of how we spent our time.

It must be said, though, that a weekend getaway with kids involved is not really a 'getaway' at all - oh, the packing, the unpacking, the laundry, the meal planning that's involved! To top that off, earlier today we had an agents' caravan of about 15 real estate agents tromp through our house. We're not officially on the market yet, but we're willing to entertain prospective clients. After the busy weekend and then all that was involved in getting ready for the agents... I need a break now. I'm off to put my feet up.

(Ahhh... the blessedly quiet drive home!)

2 comments:

megan said...

Although we didn't see much of you guys, Evelyn said her favorite part of the trip was having Liam and Mallory over for dinner. I could have saved $300 and just had you guy come over to our house for Quo Vadis!

Dawn said...

so envious! So green in fact that for the past 48 hours I have been trying to book a trip to the one in PA, but their system has been down online and via the phone and will be until this afternoon. The operator thanked me for my patience and understanding...........but what she does not know is that they may lose my business cause I might wise up and save the $$$ and not call back by the time they fix their mess!