Monday, May 24, 2010

My heart will go on

On Sunday night, I was glued to our TV to watch the series finale of Lost. So much build-up, so much hype over the past few months, and a relatively disappointing start to the season... it had a lot to live up to.

I had two predictions for the final scene. One: Jack and Locke sitting on the beach, as the new Jacob/MIB, and Locke turns to Jack and says, "Do you know how badly I want to kill you?" Two: Jack kills Locke on the island while simultaneously killing Locke on the operating table in the sideways world, which somehow meshes the two timelines back together.

Obviously, I was wrong. I didn't see that ending coming at all... at least, not until Jack walked into the church and saw the coffin there. I wasn't sure how to react to the ending as soon as the credits rolled. I had to sleep on it.

I've come to the realization that I loved the finale and think it was brilliant. I watched the last 20 minutes 3 more times today, bawling through it each time. (We had friends in to watch the finale when it aired live, and I couldn't let loose like that in public!) I love that it was a good old Jack-centric episode. I love the reunions between all the cast members. I think the musical score was outstanding and heart-wrenching. I love that it ended on a comforting note with everyone together as they should have been and ready to embark on a new adventure together. All of these things outweighed the lack of clear answers for me, and introduced an exciting new twist, and I am utterly satisfied. The final sequence of Jack in the bamboo, passing the shoe he passed in the pilot episode, with the dog next to him as he was in the beginning - oh, be still my heart. I loved it all. *tear*.

I am getting ready to start re-watching the entire series on DVD now... I am not ready to let it go! I think that was Chad groaning that you just heard. He thought that after six years, he was finally getting his wife back. Not so fast.

0 comments: