Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Thank you for being a friend

Southern Florida is pretty much like you'd expect it to be. (Coconut Point is a bit south of Fort Myers. If you read Enjoying the Small Things, then the point of reference is that I am about a ten-minute drive from the Hamptons'.) It's hot and humid - currently in the 90s - so while the conference organizers had good intentions in having us eat lunch outside today, it was really not all that comfortable. Everyone here wears pastels and lots of loud jewelry. Except for the conference attendees, of course. The only things on the road leading to the resort are palm trees, swamps, golf courses, and gated retirement resorts. There is a lot of wicker furniture around. I feel like I could bump into Bea Arthur or Betty White at any moment (yes, I know that the former is dead. The latter did a smashing job on Saturday Night Live last week.)
This morning, I had some time before our session started, so I went out for a run. There were a lot of gray-haired people out for their morning walks and they all said hello as I passed. Half of them are probably from Canada, so I shouldn't be surprised. It's a good thing that I got out for that run. Not only to work off the slice of Key Lime Pie I ate last night (which seemed only fitting on my first day here), but because the lunch offering today was fried chicken with a choice of either buttermilk biscuits or cornbread. I would have expected that in Louisiana maybe, but not in Florida. And definitely not at a business lunch.

I picked up a little something for Liam at the hotel gift shop today. And I can't wait to give it to him.

0 comments: