Wednesday, February 01, 2006

MWAC

MWAC is an acronym for Mom With A Camera. I frequent a couple of different photography websites. One is disparaging of MWACs (generalizing that they think they're all that, when really they're not), while the other is dedicated to child portrait photographers, most of whom got their start as MWACs. While I like the encouragement of the second board, I always keep the first in the back of my mind.

And then yesterday at our playgroup, KFC Gravy Mom pulled out a stack of maternity photos she had taken for a friend, and when I asked her about them I discovered that she is starting her own photography business. In my opinion - her pictures left a lot to be desired. I'll leave it at that. But the more I thought about it, the more I admired her for putting herself out there and being willing to risk it to go into business for herself. And, the friend was thrilled with the pictures; and as long as you have paying clientele, who are happy with your work, isn't that all that matters?

Imagine that... KFC Gravy Mom taught me something I can use for a change... is making me think maybe it's time to hang out my own shingle. Here's something I played around with several weeks ago... and now I'm one step closer to having them printed.


(The blackout is my phone number.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean I will have to be a PAYING customer when the time comes??? Darin and I volunteer to be subjects to build your portfolio on 'relationship pictures' (Unless it's the whole family realtionship angle you are going for, in that case, we are no help!) I really hope you are going ahead whith this, you will be awesome!!

megan said...

Can I book you in early June for the annual birthday photos?

Anonymous said...

I hope an anniversay picture is under relationships.I want to get ours updated this summer.