Thursday, February 02, 2006

On care, hair, fairs and dares

Last night we met with our daycare provider. Yes, I think we have finally found one! This provider runs a structured program with lots of outings to the park, library and pool; serves healthy foods; has a nice, bright daycare space in her house; has reasonable rates (a bit higher than some of the others we've talked to, but unlike those, we don't pay on the days when Liam doesn't attend); and she lives right around the corner from the office. Which may prove to be even better than having someone who lives on our street, because if we move in a couple of years' time, we won't have to either find a new provider or shuttle Liam all over town. Anyway, the search is over and not a moment too soon. Now I have to pick up the phone, call my new boss, and make arrangements to go back. Sniff.

Seeing as that we are now into my last month of full-time freedom, it's time to ramp up the fun factor. Thanks for everyone's suggestions... we will see how many we can fit into the next four weeks! I had thought about taking Liam to the Detroit Zoo, but (from what I remember) I think Toronto is better; maybe I will head up that way for a day or two after all. Colasanti's is going to be a must, because I think that Liam will get a kick out of the petting zoo aspect of it (more so than seeing animals from a distance at a regular zoo). Just this morning on the news, we saw a promo for Motown Winter Fest, which I have never heard of before, and which Liam is a little young for still, but if we feel like taking a drive tomorrow, we may even do that (provided that it's not raining). MWF is like a fair with a bunch of winter activities - inner tube hills, snowshoeing, a skating rink, dogsledding and ice sculpture carving demos - as well as food booths, shopping etc. - on the streets of downtown Detroit. I still feel guilty making plans like this without Chad, but when I'm stuck behind a desk again, I want to feel like I made the most of my time. However... having said this... I'm sick. Seem to be getting worse, not better. So I may need to lie low for a few days yet.

We are planning for Liam's first haircut - thought it might happen this weekend originally, but now it will probably be next. How do you go in to see a stylist and tell them how to cut your baby's hair? I just want the shagginess trimmed up a little - the hair over his ears is too long and looking scruffy, and he's growing a tail in the back. And I think the front curly part needs to be shortened a little, too. You know those style books they have for adults - is there something like that for tots, too?

Finally, if I'm going to get serious about this photography thing, I am thinking about doing a daring (for me) shameless plug - approaching an acquaintance who's expecting and offering her some newborn photos in exchange for a modeling release. Haven't fully decided yet tho. Still a little chicken. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Congratulations
2. Don't even think about touching the front of his hair - it's too cute!!
3. Let us know when you want to come to Toronto!
4. You can take my photo too, if you like
: )

Carrie said...

4. Gladly, if you promise not to crawl (shimmy, roll, squirm) away.