Wednesday, February 15, 2006

This one time? At playgroup?

Last week at playgroup, we were told that this week we'd be doing something with Jello as a sensory activity. By the time this week rolled around, however, the activity had changed to making shakers for the babies. These shakers were made out of plastic water bottles - we filled them with water, light corn syrup, shampoo (don't ask me why this mix of ingredients) and then tossed in assorted beads and buttons and bits of glitter to make it even more fun. Here Liam is playing with his finished craft. Although I was disappointed that Jello was not on the agenda - you'll recall that the last sensory activity (whipped cream) didn't go over so well, and I was anxious for a re-do - I was awfully proud of myself at the same time. Several weeks ago at home, I filled an empty water bottle with water and food colouring and detergent, and gave it to Liam. It's a pretty colour and makes a nice swooshy sound when he shakes it (which, admittedly, isn't all that often). Although he'd still rather play with a water bottle I'm drinking from rather than the crafty one I concocted, I am proud of myself for having come up with this before the Early Years Centre taught me how to do it. My original shaker bottle is so good, in fact, that the last time Evelyn (who is five) was here, she saw it and then went home and asked enough questions about food colouring and water bottles to lead Megan to believe that she might have wanted to make one of her own.I know I've said a million times that before Liam, people (not all, but some) gave us no credit for being able to figure out what to do with him. I'm glad to have my shaker story now; the next time someone assumes that I've got no clue how to be a parent, I can bring it out as proof that I really do know how to do this mommy thing. A few more photos from playgroup... Liam proving that not only can he crawl, he can do it with object in hand... I still don't understand why, when we go to playgroup and there are a million toys available for him to play with, he goes after the same Roll-Arounds that we have at home...I think Liam is ready for school - he already knows to raise his hand before speaking. Now if only we could find a kindergarten teacher who's willing to change diapers. :)

3 comments:

megan said...

How is he sitting in that chair??? Thanks for the Valentine, Liam.
Carrie, Downey's in that community that starts with a B south of us is going out of scrapbooking. They have 50%% off everything. It's pretty picked over but they have lots of card stock and a few cute do-dads. They are also selling their paper stands which might be nice for your future home craft studio.

Carrie said...

The chair is similar to a high chair - it has arm rests that keep him from toppling off the sides, and it's pulled into the table far enough to keep him from slipping out the front. Still takes lots of vigilence tho. :)

Thank YOU for the Valentine - sorry we weren't here to get it in person! Maybe I'll have to check out that sale when we go swimming this week...

megan said...

I was worried that Captin would eat it through the plastic. Did Liam enjoy it! I knew you were not going to home-if it's Tuesday it's playgroup. Did Chad like his Valentine? Cory was quite taken with his ;).