Saturday, December 30, 2006

Marching toward the Terrible Two's

Liam seems to be changing daily right now. Every day he has new words or a new way of doing things - constantly keeping us on our toes. Lately this has been coupled with some newfound independence and assertiveness, which is cute now in its infancy - but will I live to regret having said that?

About a month ago he started stage directing Chad and I. He doesn't say anything, but will stop what he's doing, come grab one of us by the hand or (more often) pant leg, and drag us to a new spot where he wants us to be. Often this has nothing to do with what he is doing or playing with at all, but he will want me to move from this chair to that chair, or from a chair to the floor. Poor Chad gets it worse than I do - he is often dragged out of the room altogether and relegated to watching from the doorway. Usually I oblige Liam but sometimes I don't; the grunting and effort he puts into getting me to move at times like these is hilarious.

In the past couple of days, his new thing has been No!!! - and really, we knew it was inevitable - what kid hasn't gone through this before? It's funny, but I don't remember him ever saying "no" before, even in a normal tone of voice; and now it's out of his mouth (at a top-of-his-lungs yell) no matter what the question. Liam, would you like some ice cream? NO!! Liam, do you want to go outside? NO!! Of course, he does want ice cream and he does want out... he just enjoys having something to say. (Loudly.)

Maybe it's just as well that he goes through this now. It can't last forever, can it? If we can get some Terrible Two-ness out of his system before the arrival of Little Miss, I think we will all be better off. I'd like to space my upheaval out rather than take it all at once, thank you very much!

1 comments:

megan said...

Maybe if Chad had used Liam's new word a little more last night he would have been feeling better today.
Megan (as told to her by Cory)