Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The stocking is (supposed to be) the best part

Of Christmas, that is. But what do you put in a stocking for a baby?

This is the question I was faced with when out shopping recently, and I fear I did a bad job of it. I should have delegated this responsibility to Chad, who stuffs a great stocking, full of trinkets and treats that I either already love, or things he introduces me to that I then wind up loving. My stockings for him are never as good - too predictable (CDs/socks/underwear), full of things he never uses (remember those Odour Eaters, Chad??) and generally uninspired.

Anyway, Liam is getting some babyproofing gear. Nice, huh?? Some cupboard latches and some doorknob covers. He is also getting a new bib. Heck, I'd might as well be really nice and throw in a jar of strained peas!! There are a few fun things in there; I got an extra little pack of Roll Around toys for him, and a small toy truck, and some bathtub fish that squirt water. All in all though, it still seems like a lame little stocking. Good thing he'll be too young to remember how much his first Christmas sucked, but honestly, when you can't fill up half the space with candy canes and chocolate, it's a much harder job than you'd think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chad must have learned how to do stockings from his Dad. Mine are more like yours.

Anonymous said...

I guess we have Bruce to thank for the awesome stockings. Darin is great at it too!! They do appreciate the socks and underwear. Darin was dissapointed that I left them out last year (after I painstakingly chose each and every item to be included, that is what he comments on!) Liam's will get more fun as the years go by - we are glad he won't remember his first Christmas,which won't suck by the way, that way he won't realize we weren't there (that is until he sees the scrapbook pages!!)

Anonymous said...

Emily's stocking will have:
Plastic ball (too big to choke on, too small for basketball)- looks like a ladybug
Plastic kitty that clicks when you turn its parts
Small book
Christmas Little People - our Target had them in a tube, Santa, Mrs Claus and Rudolph
Christmas Incrediblocks - same deal, three in the tube, one says 1st Christmas
Letter from Mommy
A set of toddler spoons
A new rubber duck (I found a bright purple one)

I LOVE stockings...and they aren't really going to remember what we put in them this year. Or next...Or...