Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Tis the season

My family knows that I am one of those crazy people when it comes to Christmas, the one who is asking what people want in October so that I am not in the stores past December 1st. At least, that's my goal each year; usually I forget something and I am out there slugging it out on December 24th with the best of them.

This year is going to be different. This year, I am really going to finish things up early. I've made some good progress so far. My decorations are not out yet, but I'm close. I started baking last weekend, although I had a hell of a time getting things to turn out (note to self - shortbread cookies are really too delicate to be using intricate cutters, but man I enjoyed polishing off all the broken bits). And, I already have a stack of gifts - purchased! Wrapped! Still waiting for lists from some people, but I've made a dent, and that's a start. Liam is getting the Leapstart Learning Train from Chad and I:
And Santa is bringing him the Fisher Price Roll-a-Rounds Jungle Treehouse (after much discussion, we decided he is just too young for the Little People ABC Zoo):
And I also got him this VTech Sort n Soar Rocket, which blasts off when you put the shapes in it - it's so cool:
I didn't realize til after these things were all home that they are all very noisy and all require batteries. (Buying a battery recharger before Liam was born was a great investment and yes, I have a stock of batteries for these toys also.)

We will still get him some new pajamas and a small stocking full of stuff. This seems like a pretty tame Christmas, having spent less than $75 on the kid so far, but (I in no way mean this as a solicitation) I expect that we will not be the only ones giving him stuff and our house is only so big. And, let's face it, he's still pretty simple-minded; will he really be able to figure out that the people down the street gave their kid a more lavish first Christmas than he got? It's not like they compare notes at playgroup.

2 comments:

megan said...

This is very wise. Now you will not have to worry about both grandmothers getting him his first bike on the same Christmas. Not a good scene!

Kelly said...

Sydney has the Roll-a-Round jungle & you are right...it is noisy! Be prepared.