Friday, March 26, 2010

Jumping the gun

This week, we ran out of diapers. And I have had just about enough of diapers. Mallory is only wearing them at bedtime, but she wakes up dry approximately half of the time so I thought it might be time to ditch them completely. We made a big production over how ready she is to be done with diapers because she is almost three and three year olds are big enough to wear underpants to bed.

The first night, she slept through, and woke up damp. She had obviously peed but it wasn't a lot and wasn't enough to wake her in the middle of the night. (Unfortunately, it *was* enough to get on her duvet, which now needs to be dry cleaned. Argh. I suppose I should do that before putting it away for the summer anyway... but still...)

The second night, she woke up dry. Yay Mal! Much cheering ensued.

The third night was last night. I was woken up (the whole house was, really) at 1:30 a.m. by a bellowing, belligerent, wet and cold little girl. I thought that I had limited what she drank before bed, but there was a veritable flood. Her pajamas and sheets were sopping wet. There I am, madly trying to wrangle her out of her wet things as she is crying pitifully, and then it occurs to me that we have an Epic Fail in the design of her mattress cover. It's rubber on the bottom, but it's kind of soft and fuzzy on top. So I stripped off the wet sheet but then was left with a still-wet mattress cover. I didn't want to put a clean sheet on top of the wet mattress cover, but I also didn't want to take the mattress cover off altogether, because it wasn't even 2 a.m. and what if she peed again before morning? Finally I ran down the hall to the laundry room, grabbed a beach towel from the linen closet, doubled it up and put it on top of the wet spot on the mattress cover. Sheets and blankets and new pajama pants back on Mallory, who was still sobbing. Poor thing.

She was up again half an hour later. I exepected the worst - another flood - but when I got to her room, I found her sleeping (or not) on the floor beside the door. Good thing I spent all that time in the middle of the night re-making her bed for her, right? Thankfully, she stayed in her bed the rest of the night.

I am going to pick up another pack of diapers on my lunch hour. I think we jumped the gun.(After a yummy batch of spring-themed sugar cookies last weekend, I picked up a few new cookie cutters and some different colours of sprinkles this week. We may have another batch up our sleeves this weekend.)

0 comments: