Monday, May 30, 2005

Clicking



Today I had one of those eureka moments. Not to say that I've figured parenthood out - I'm sure that time will never come - but I'm making progress. For the last couple of days I've felt like I am really figuring Liam out. Knowing what voice means he's genuinely hungry/cold/wet and which is just his grumbly voice meaning he's overtired. That sort of thing. It culminated in a cool way tonight. He was fussy around dinner time, which is common for him. That's the only time he will have a meltdown. Normally we'll try to feed him/entertain him/whatever when that happens, and tonight I finally figured out that it meant he was actually tired. Rocked him to sleep - only took a couple of minutes - and put him to bed. He spit up a little while later and woke up, but I rocked him again and he was back down. I don't know why it took me so long to catch on that just because he wakes up, doesn't mean he's ready to wake up, yaknow? It's a pretty cool feeling to think that I am getting much better at meeting his needs. A good way to end the day. :)

0 comments: