Sunday, July 03, 2005

Breakfast with Wimbledon



As a young family, we don't have many traditions around here (though with the arrival of Little Bird that will have to change - he is the perfect excuse to go nuts decorating for the holidays, make pancakes on the weekends, start attending the company children's Christmas party, etc.) One staunch tradition that we do follow is an insane amount of TV watching during the four grand slam tournaments each year and in particular, Wimbledon, and in particular, Breakfast with Wimbledon on men's final Sunday.

Given the whole marathon/half marathon thing we're shooting for, we had to make a few changes this year. Normally we do up a big breakfast and lounge in bed watching the final all morning. This year Chad was out for his run and back again right as the match started at 9 a.m. Liam was up early, around 5:30, and then back to sleep by 7, dozing beside me until Chad came back home. Then I got up and had some toast while Chad ran over to McDonald's for some takeout breakfast - he's got a gross addiction to some sort of pancake and egg sandwich there (though he only indulges very occasionally - I'll give him that). When he came back, I was out the door for my run, although by this time it was about 10:30. I cranked out five miles outside in the heat, but when I swung back into our neighbourhood to refuel before heading out again, I thought better of it and finished my last few miles on the treadmill in our freezing cold basement (ahhhh!) while watching the awards ceremony. Coming upstairs to see what was going on after I finished running, this is what I found - Cookie and Little Bird napping again after enjoying Breakfast at Wimbledon together. I hope this continues for many years to come.

When Liam woke up, he went through his normal routine which consists of a good ten minutes of yawning and stretching contortions, as if he is still way too tired to even contemplate getting up. I could watch this guy for hours:







0 comments: