Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The end (to some extent) of green



I decided long before Liam came along to be a cloth diapering mama. I would say the decision was about 60% environmental, 25% because I think it's better for the baby, and the 15% that lines our wallet a little more certainly doesn't hurt. I've been buying supplies from The Baby Marketplace since day one and have been really happy with how it's going. Anyone who dismisses cloth diapering as being too much work, in my opinion, has no clue what they're talking about.

Well.

This week I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that for now, disposables are a better choice for us for overnight use. Lately Liam has been up multiple times at night again - sometimes up to 3 times. I think it's just a growth spurt thing. But because he's feeding so much at night, he is also wetting a lot. I don't do nighttime diaper changes anymore because they wake him up too much. And despite putting him in a prefold, terry liner, and using a wool soaker, he's still been wetting through. Not only that, he's also been wetting through size 2 disposables despite having several pounds to go until he hits the upper age limit. So I sent Chad out today to pick up some size 3's. Until the growth spurt ends, and he's down to one feeding or less on a consistent basis, we're using disposables overnight. Enough with the bed wetting. I'm hoping this phase doesn't last long (good grief, I hope the size 3's are enough to do the trick!!) And then we'll be back on our merry cloth diapering way.

(Photo is from May - Liam's first day in the size large prefolds. They're much more trim fitting now.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what kind of disposables you are using...but I have heard that Pampers work better for boys and Huggies work better for girls...so if you are using Huggies, try Pampers to see if he still wets through those.

Carrie said...

We've been using Pampers since day 1, and really haven't had any leak issues, with cloth or disposables, up til now. So it's perplexing. After another wet bed last night - despite being in the size 3's now! - I had The Talk with Chad, i.e. Are you Pointing It Down? And he said, hum, I never really thought about it. So... maybe that's the answer, and we'll have better luck tonight???