Monday, October 24, 2005

Separation anxiety

A full-fledged case of separation anxiety has developed in our house. Perhaps it's not surprising to hear, though, that Liam isn't the one who's developed it - it's me.

Yesterday I left Liam in the nursery at church for the first time, and it went as I would expect his first day of daycare to go - I gave him a smile and a kiss, handed him over, and then promptly burst into tears as soon as I was out of sight. I pretty much felt like an idiot and spent the next ten minutes in the bathroom trying to regain some composure. When the service ended I was of course dying to make a beeline back down the hall to rescue him, but we were stopped by people wanting to chat. This was an extremely antsy ten minutes for me and by the time we got back to the nursery, Liam was the only baby left. Apparently he had done well the entire time he was there until he was the only kiddo left - then he started to fuss a little, and he was doing the pre-cry Grumble by the time we picked him up.

We are settling back into a routine now that Chad is home. For Chad and Liam, this consisted of an entire afternoon of football yesterday. And this morning, it was the same-old same-old Monday morning routine: Chad having to get up early, searching the house for 20 minutes to try to find his pass card for work, me searching the house again after he's left because I can't find the cat anywhere and think Chad has accidentally let him out (which, if that were to happen, would nearly guarantee that Captain would run as far and as fast as he could, and we would never see him again) only to find that I have merely locked him in the closet. Accidentally, of course.


As for the 'new family room' - it needs some major work. I need something to hang on the walls, two lamps, and a rug. I have been looking online for rugs. It's harder to find the right one than you'd think. I found one I liked at Homesense, but it was too small. Also found one at Ikea, but that would require a lengthy trip, and the online locator makes it look like its availability is limited:
Just yesterday I was looking on the Canadian Tire website and found a cool rug there - on sale, and only half the price of the Ikea rug - but it's stripes. I love stripes, but the blinds in that room are also stripes, and I think that may make for too many conflicting stripes. I think we will head out to the store later this morning though, to see it in person. Gotta love the convenience of online shopping where you can scope out your purchases and make sure they're in stock before you set out:
Photos of the room will come, once it's a little more finished. By the way Steph, it still won't be finished until there's a picture of you and Mike in that frame!

1 comments:

megan said...

I remember leaving Evie for the first time. It nearly killed me but she was fine! You will be fine as well, not to worry.