Friday, October 07, 2005

There is a difference

I'm going to go out on a pompous limb here and say there are some major differences between me and [some] other moms out there. This point was really driven home to me at our playgroup this week. I was asking around among the moms with older babies to see what their feeding experiences had been - how soon they'd started, how quickly they'd introduced new foods, etc. And a mom with a two month old piped up and said that she's been giving her kid everything - pudding, ice cream, mashed potatoes - but the kid's favourite, as luck would have it, is KFC gravy.

This was the moment at which I went from merely suspecting that I am a superior mom to full-out knowing it.

My little Cookie is getting the hang of the business of eating. After first scarfing down his food, then behaving with a little more trepidation, and a switch from rice cereal to oatmeal, he is once again inhaling his meals. Assisting us with getting that spoon up to his mouth a.s.a.p. It's quite funny as he still makes terrible faces whenever the food lands in his mouth - I think his helping hand is depositing it a little too far back in his mouth and triggering his gag reflex - but he can't get enough of it. A few days ago we introduced the Farley biscuits, which make a terrible mess but which he really enjoys. I don't think he can quite believe that he is finally chewing on something that is edible...

I have a few jars of baby foods in the cupboard - assorted vegetables - and I'm looking forward to trying those next. After I figure out what he likes and doesn't like, I plan to cook up a batch and pop it in the freezer. No sense in going to that trouble until I know what he will or won't eat though...

3 comments:

Darin & Jenn said...

I don't think there was ever any doubt that you would be a superior mom. Now where Chad is concerned...I'll quote Darin when we found out you went into labour. "Jenn, I'm scared. My brother...is a dad...I need to buy him a book so he will know what to do!"
You both are doing an amazing job!

Anonymous said...

KFC??? Wow...we are part of a family study with MUMC & the nurse called at 6 months to do a survey of what Sydney had been given to eat during her first 6 months of life. Some of the things she suggested I was appalled at (e.g. pop, chocolate, tea, coffee), but she said that you would be surprised at what some people will give their babies. I guess those people do exist...crazy.

Anonymous said...

KFC??? Wow...we are part of a family study with MUMC & the nurse called at 6 months to do a survey of what Sydney had been given to eat during her first 6 months of life. Some of the things she suggested I was appalled at (e.g. pop, chocolate, tea, coffee), but she said that you would be surprised at what some people will give their babies. I guess those people do exist...crazy.