Thursday, October 06, 2005

When technology sucks


The past couple of days have been those overwhelming sorts of days where you have a to-do list that never stops growing and never gets anything crossed off. And of course, while I could put Liam in exile in his exersaucer to accomplish at least some of these things, the guilt would eat at me and I wind up just living with the stress of things left undone eating at me instead. If I’m going to be eaten at by something, might as well at least make it pleasant for the little dude, right?

On the weekend we tore our dining room apart and made it into a playroom. I really think this is the right decision for us. I miss our pretty dining room, but we have used that playroom every day this week, and it is so useful. And you know me, I love practical. The downside to this whole experiment is the chaos that it’s thrown us into. We have rearranged most of our furniture, but there is some that won’t fit and now we’re left with the question of whether to store or sell it. And, while we’re trying to do this on the cheap and make use of things we already have, there are a few new pieces we’ll need to make the new scheme work. Furthermore – we have tons of pictures to relocate and rehang, knickknacky things to rearrange, etc. Until these things are complete, we’ll be living with unfinished spaces, and they get on my nerves.

While I would love to devote every waking minute to taking care of these things – that is, those waking minutes that aren’t devoted to feeding/diapering/dressing/bathing/playing with Liam – there are other matters that also need our attention. Life gets in the way. I am still slowly trying to get the yard cleaned up after this summer’s colossal abandonment, especially now while the weather is still good. That sucks up one of Liam’s naptimes each day. I have a laundry list of errands to run – it seems like we keep ruining things around here. The vinyl on Liam’s change pad split in three places and it had to be exchanged. The snap tore through on one of his diaper covers so I had to return that too. I even got some misprinted scrapbook supplies that I had to order a replacement for (good thing these were all done free of charge!) There are dinners to be made and floors to vacuum and (ick) toilets to scrub... I have to call my boss at work to check in, find someone to come fix our eavestroughs, get on that daycare thing...

And then to top it off, we’ve been having computer problems for the last few days. Somehow our Norton Antivirus got turned off for a few hours, and we’ve been flooded with spyware ever since. In fact, I wonder if the video streams I had added to the blog were the root of the problem, so I've removed them for the time being. I’ve downloaded fixes for some of the mess, but some I can’t get rid of. Then we started having volume problems on the computer – and I couldn’t figure out whether that was an issue in and of itself, or related to the spyware. Just when I had some free time last night to blog, Blogger itself was down for maintenance. Technology sucks!! {Although Liam, of course, never has technology issues... his cell phone never stops ringing...}

Today we are taking a little breather from all the work to have some fun. We’re heading out to the pool in a couple of hours. If I owe you an email or phone call, bear with me – I just need a chance to catch up again.

0 comments: