Monday, July 02, 2007

35,483

That's how many shutter actuations I got out of my camera before it gave up the ghost earlier today. The original DRebel is rated to 35,000 shutter clicks - but I was hoping to be one of the lucky ones who pushed it close to 50K before encountering problems. No such luck! Never did I expect to be so darn average. I am, as you would expect, pretty much beside myself... it happened when I went to get it today after I put Mallory in the exersaucer for the first time. Which, of course, she loved - and which, of course, I couldn't take a picture of.

The thing is, I have been wanting to upgrade since this time last year... but the new 40D is supposed to be released this fall... and I would hate to cave now and buy the 30D after holding out all this time... not getting the new features of the 40D and not getting the benefit of the inevitable price cut on the 30D that will happen as soon as the 40D is announced (rumoured to be late September). Shutter failure is supposed to cost about $200-250 US to fix, but you have to package the damn thing up and ship it to Canon, so I could be without a camera for up to 2 months. The Rebel XT is on the market right now for around $600... do I repair my old camera for (guessing here) close to $300 or buy a new one for $600 when I am soon hoping to upgrade? (I was planning to keep the old camera even after upgrading for backup in times exactly like this.) The money thing will work itself out... it's the being without a camera for 2 months that breaks my heart. (Oh yeah, did I mention this little 'photo a day' project I have - er, had - going on that is now in the toilet??) A couple of other options: go down to my local camera guy who deals in used equipment, tell him my sob story, and see if he has something suitable to rent me in the meantime... or buy a little point-and-shoot to tide me over for a few weeks.

It's not the end of the world, but man, having a new baby in the house is a rotten time for your camera to die.

4 comments:

megan said...

Carrie,
You are welcome to my new camera during the week while I am at work so long as you teach me how to work it once you get yours back or you can have my point and shoot just to tide you over for the photo a day thingie. Either way just let me know.

Dawn said...

I am curious now how you found out how many "shots" you took? I just dabbled through the functions and can't find it.......I have a shoot tonight but would like to check out of curiosity!

Also, I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-F707 that you are welcome to use until you work out your issues! It isn't a rebel, but it takes some great shots! Google it and let me know, I can get it out ASAP!

Anonymous said...

I see lots of video footage in your near future! :)

Carrie said...

Thanks for the offers... as long as the new camera is here by Thursday at the latest, I will survive! (If not Megan - I may take you up on the P&S offer for the wedding.)

Dawn - the way my photo files appear on my CF card, they are in numbered folders that hold up to 100 pics each. Then the photos in each folder are numbered. The last good shot that came off the camera was in folder 354 and the photo was number 483... overall, it was the 35,483rd photo my camera took. Hope that helps!!