Tuesday, July 17, 2007

In a manner of speaking

Liam may be cute but man, his manners suck. Right now I am trying really, really hard to get him to say 'please' and 'thank you', and it's like pulling teeth. Last night he came up to me and said, "I want milk mom, give me milk." And I said, "You need to say please when you ask for something, Liam. I want milk please. Can you say that?" And he gets this silly little smile on his face and says, "Nooooooo," in this Aren't I cute? way. Except that it's not cute, and we have been going through this for weeks now and I'm not getting anywhere with him. And as for thank yous, well, forget it. They simply don't exist to him.
I know he's only 2, but if he can talk intelligently about fire trucks and peacocks and what day of the week it is, then surely to goodness he can say please and thank you.

(Insert sound of head banging against brick wall here.)


(Here he is telling me to suck it after one of our little manners discussions!!)

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I am HUGE on manners......and proper english, and calling people mrs. Smith and not sally......and all that jazz. I would do exactly what you are doing and then add this. When you hand him his milk or what have you do not let go once he grabs it. Hold it there with him holding it too until he says "Thank you" it will only take a few times of you saying "what do you say" before he catches on then you let go. I still on occasion have to force a please, thank you or you're welcome, but for the most part Noah and Gavin are EXCELLEnT with manners.........now behavior, that's a whole 'nother ballgame!

Dawn said...

By proper english I meant saying YES instead of "yeah".....and stuff like that......