Thursday, March 30, 2006

Katie Couric gets me

Earlier this week on The Today Show, they (finally) ran a segment that pertained to me. It was about people who choose to get up at ungodly hours for a little Me Time before the rest of the family rolls out of bed. This couldn't have come at a more opportune moment, for I am now roughly 4 weeks into my 5:30 wake-up time adventure. It hasn't been entirely smooth sailing; there are many mornings I've just hit snooze and slept in. It's all fine and well to say that you are going to get up before everyone else but alas, this generally also means you have to go to bed before everyone else; that's the part I have trouble with. Anyway, the point of my early wake-up call is supposed to be to fit some exercise into my day, and I have definitely put in more sweat equity in the last four weeks than I did in the several months before that, so something seems to be working. Unfortunately, exercise is still more of a chore than anything else; it's Me Time, but it's not really Me Time, yaknow? This has become especially evident over the past month as I have sadly watched my photos sit unscrapbooked, my reading pile growing rather than shrinking, and now that we are on the brink of the gardening season I am itching to get outside but also wondering exactly when that will happen. I have honestly contemplated getting up even earlier - if I got up at 4:30, I could have an hour of fun time, AND exercise, and then still be ready to greet Liam when he starts his day. Unfortunately, this also means that I would be subsisting on so little sleep (because I just can't go to bed any earlier, I can't) that I would surely be fired for being unable to keep my eyes open at work, and then I would have all day to do things around the house and the point would be moot. I don't really know where this leaves me, except to say that I wouldn't get any gardening done at 4:30 a.m. anyway - too dark, and the slugs are still out.

1 comments:

megan said...

Martha only sleeps 4 hours a night, what is wrong with you?