Friday, March 24, 2006

This one's for the locals

I’m on the hunt for a location. I want to take a photo of Liam on (or about – I’m not doing this in the pouring rain) his birthday. I want it to be a place we can go back to year after year, to take the same photo in the same spot, for as long as he’ll let me (this gives me five years, max, according to Chad). I want it to be something relatively close to home (if we are doing this on an annual basis, then the idea of taking his picture next to the Eiffel Tower or Statue of Liberty is out.) I want it to be something that will show how much he has grown, so some sort of reference to height and/or general size would be cool. Originally, I was thinking of something statue-ish (statuesque?); of course, I live in a small town, and there are no statues here, a few cenotaphs and war memorials excepted. (Please correct me if I’m wrong, but we’ve been wracking our brains and can’t come up with any). Since the statue idea doesn’t seem to be panning out, I have expanded my idea of acceptable sites to include anything architectural (a cool door or gate or set of steps), something wrought iron, a landmark like a flagpole or a cool tree… The task now is to find one. I’d love any ideas. So far, the short list consists of:

The historic downtown clock
The Kent County sculpture that’s by the clock
The cannon in Tecumseh Park
Somewhere around the side entrance to the Cultural Centre (the doors there would be nice if it weren’t for the decals on them advertising the hours of business and handicap access and security system)
The bench in Dana and Bruce’s back yard (you guys aren’t planning on moving in the next 18 years, are you?)
The tree in our front yard (provided that, if we move in a couple of years, we include in the terms of sale permission to come back once a year for this photo, and an agreement that the new owners not do anything to the tree until 2023)

Put your thinking caps on, folks… any more ideas??

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you used the cenotaph, you could position the picture to include CIBC building and logo?? You know, best Bank by a damn site!!

megan said...

Sorry Carrie, I am drawing a blank. Along the same lines though, I have seen pictures taken of the same child every year in a dress of her mother's. As the years go by you can see how she grows to fit into it. The first picture is really cute because she it just sitting in a pile of fabric. Maybe you could use Chad's football jersey. Just an idea.

Anonymous said...

We have no plans on moving so you could use our bench.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie:

I have an idea for the picture. This is going to sound gruesome but I don't think it is. What about the cemetary? There is a big monument there with the name Baby on it (pronounced Bob Bee) it is Grandma's relatives so it would be Liam's great great great grandparents. Just an idea.

Carrie said...

That's funny - I thought of the cemetery too, and then thought maybe I was nuts. Perhaps I will check it out after all.

Megan - I've seen the clothing shots done before too, but I missed out on starting when Liam was a newborn, so I already feel like I've missed the boat!

Thanks for all the suggestions... need to check some of them out over the next couple of weeks.