Wednesday, March 01, 2006

This is me getting my cardio in

Liam has just gone down for his nap, a few minutes past 9 a.m., and I think that I am about ready for one, too. In the two hours that he has been out of bed this morning, besides the things that I have done to him or for him, such as two diaper changes, a clothing change, and breakfast delivered to him on a tray, I have also followed/watched/assisted with/cleaned up the following chaos: two games of rolling the ball back and forth, one climb up the entire flight of stairs to the second story, one hand dunking in the toilet (which I initially was going to prevent and then I thought if I did that, he would just keep trying to do it; so I let him do it to discover that it's really not that much fun, and then I disinfected said hand, and now I hope he never wants to repeat it), two confrontations with Captain, one clearing off of the bookshelf, one clearing off of the shelf on which I keep all the baby food jars that I have no idea what to do with but I don't think they should be thrown away so I keep washing them and stacking them on the shelf, one game of Roll-Arounds, about a million pulling up to standing positions on anything that would hold his weight, one partial shredding of a magazine, and one discovery of and emptying of his diaper bag, including discovery of a disassembled sippy cup inside and look of total bewilderment when sucking on said sippy cup spout, sans cup itself, resulted in nothing but some air in the mouth.

It may be a lot of work, but I do love this 'busy' stage; it's a lot of fun to see things clicking for Liam and those a-ha! moments happening. I hear people talking about their similarly aged kids and how the kids are now able to occupy themselves for a while, leaving the parents the freedom to do their own thing a bit more. I still don't see this in my immediate future because while Liam can occupy himself, he needs pretty constant supervision to do so without killing himself, and he doesn't stay put for long. It felt really strange to have him out of the house for two hours yesterday morning - soooo quiet, and not the kind of quiet that tips you off that he's gotten into something he really shouldn't be into and is totally and utterly engrossed in it. I took advantage of the situation by working on an assignment I have that's due today. Sucks that I had to pay someone to watch my kid so that I could do homework though - if I'm paying for the time, I should at least be doing something utterly selfish and fun, like getting a massage. Maybe next time.

Journal entry from Cindy for yesterday:
Liam came for 2 hrs today. He enjoyed his morning visit very much. He enjoyed watching the children play. We had a snack of O's, milk, and 4 pcs of banana cut in coin shape & halved. Diaper change, he was very wet at 10 a.m. Crawling, laughing with children, playing peek a boo, he was smiling today making his happy baby sounds.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will make it a little easier working knowing Liam is happy with Cindy.