Monday, June 06, 2005

A catch-22









In addition to the wedding this past weekend, we also visited my family. Both social events invovled (a) a long car ride out of town and (b) multiple hours of visiting, both of which were firsts for us. So I had no idea how they would go.

As I reported earlier, the wedding was perfect. Liam didn't cry once, he didn't mind being passed around, he wasn't bothered by the loud music, he slept both ways in the car, etc. Couldn't have been better.

The next day was the visit. And he was OK. Not great, mind you, but OK. He cried a few times. We were always able to settle him, but he certainly did have his cranky pants on now and then.

I should mention here that Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child is a huge advocate of multiple daytime naps for a little one. I started implementing this as soon as I got the book and couldn't believe how happy it made the little guy. What a great trick. Well, of course the wedding threw the nap schedule off, and then the following day it got even worse with the visiting, right? Another day with nary a nap to be seen (the car rides excepted). I know he looks like he's sleeping in the last picture here, but don't believe it - that was one of his nod-off-for-a-few-then-BOOM-wider-awake-than-ever moments.

Fast forward to yesterday: The Day From Hell. He was so desperately tired, and yet he wouldn't sleep. Couldn't sleep. Cried all day. Was rubbing his eyes and yawning like a fiend, giving off every drowsy cue in the book, but was so overtired that he just couldn't do it.

So, it's a catch-22. I can take the little man out, but I pay for it the next day. So from now on I'll have to judge whether the event is worth it (like Elaine and her sponge-worthy test): do I want to attend your party badly enough to be willing to put up with a little monster the next day?

Sorry your face isn't showing here Katrina, but I LOVE this picture. Look how red his hair looks!!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a good looking family!!