Sunday, June 19, 2005

Well rested part 2, a.k.a. I'm not a father but the gift is for me, a.k.a. Why I love the internet



So yesterday I logged back into my pregnancy buddy group (April Moms) for the first time in a looooong time. Figured if I didn't do it soon then a whole new batch of April moms would be posting there and I'd lose touch with some of them.

Anyway, among the discussions being held was the wonders of the Miracle Blanket. This, I learned, is a straitjacket-like contraption that swaddles your babe by basically strapping down his arms with velcro before you do the burrito thing. And everyone was extolling the virtues of it -- how long their babies were sleeping while swaddled in it, etc.

I can't remember when or why I stopped swaddling Liam but I know it's been so stinking hot the last couple of weeks that he's been going completely blanketless. But this week it's cooled down and he's under cover again. So on a whim, I swaddled him again last night (in a regular blanket, no Miracle Blanket here) after his midnight feeding.

To my utter surprise and delight, I woke up a little after 5 a.m. wondering if he was still alive. (Well, that wasn't a delightful thought, but you know what I mean.) He had slept through for the first time EVER. Normally he'll sleep a five hour stretch from 7 pm til midnight and then is up every two or three hours after that. Last night he slept the night through in just two chunks, 7-12 and 12-5. After being up for a little more than an hour in the morning he then went back to sleep and mercifully let me sleep til almost 9 a.m.

Oh happy day! Now, if only I can figure out how to keep this up once it turns hot again. Even with the AC on, we live in one of those houses with a 30-degree difference between the basement and the upstairs. It gets hot up there in the summer. So how can I keep swaddling him? Not sure, but where there's a will there's a way...

And, yes, he still sucks his thumb when he gets hungry. And I still think it's cute.

0 comments: