Monday, June 27, 2005

You will not hurt my feelings



A funny thing about having a kid is the number of compliments you get on him and the amount of doubt you cast upon the comment giver. Case in point, yesterday we were at a birthday party (where this picture was taken), and as the birthday boy was just 2 years old, it was a family affair and Liam came with us. And of course, every time we go out with him, people always want to know how old he is, what his name is and inevitably they end with, “He’s just beautiful! What a good looking kid!” etc. etc.

Well, we think he’s beautiful. We think he’s the best looking kid on this planet. But we’re kind of biased. I really don’t expect the rest of the world to think that my kid is all that and a bag of chips. I know they reserve those sentiments for their own kids. So that being said, why even say it? When Chad and I first got together I remember seeing his baby pictures and thinking about what a hilarious-looking kid he was. Huge fat cheeks, bulging eyes, eyebrows that extended way past the outer corners of his eyes. Now I have a kid that looks like that and wouldn’t you know it – I think he is just perfection. It must be the hormones or something that makes you think your own genetics are somehow supermodel worthy, no matter how funny-looking the rest of the world likely thinks they are.

Chad has red hair and as the world knows, I had also hoped to have red headed kids. Liam was born with dark brown hair that has, over the last 2.5 months, slowly lightened up. His eyebrows are quite red now and the rest of him is slowly following suit, though I don't know if he'll ever be a 'flaming redhead' like his dad (pardon the terminology, I just don't know how else to put it.) I think people try to cushion the blow for me by remarking about the red hair, when I know, deep down, it's not THAT red. Come on, people, I'm a big girl, I can take it - and I'll love Liam just the same if he has mousy brown hair like me. :) Thanks though - it's nice of you to pretend for me.

Today my parents came for a visit - trying to squeeze in some quality Liam time before the trek to Maui:

0 comments: