Sunday, August 14, 2005

And now, for a PSA


Recently, it’s come to my attention that there are many more people reading this site than I’d first intended. When I started it, back in March, I didn’t even mean it. My sister was harping at me to do it, since it seemed to be The Thing among her GTA friends who were having kids. I set the site up as a lark, posting to myself, from myself, and didn’t even give her the URL for a month or so. She took it from there, spreading the word among our family, her friends, anyone on the street who uttered the word BLOG: My sister has one of those, wanna see?? Once the cat was out of the bag, and I was getting requests for baby pictures from friends, I started to give the URL out a little more freely. It was in the public domain now, and a heck of a lot faster way to share photos than by email with a dial-up internet connection. Now that I’ve added the nifty ticker at the bottom and am getting usage reports from Sitemeter, I know more accurately how many people are visiting. I’m still amazed by it (even though I need about another 54,970 visitors per day to catch up to Dooce). Even more amazing is that last week the share of y’all who are following along in the Eastern time zone fell to around 85%. I’ve had multiple visits from time zones in Europe and Asia (though not many from Afghanistan, the one overseas locale that I would have expected: are you out there, Amy??) And those are visitors who have found the site by accident, because I surely don’t remember sharing the URL with anyone there.

This hasn’t changed how I’ve done the site or what I use it for. I still consider it to serve two purposes: (a) to share pictures of Liam with our far-flung family and friends in the most convenient way possible and (b) to be a record keeping journal for myself. I try to stick to Liam as the principal subject, and not wander off too far. I don’t expect you to read every word – I might like to write, but don’t claim to be the most insightful person on the planet. If I win the lottery someday, you will likely read about that here, but it’s not my intention to keep the site up-to-date with our personal lives beyond how they relate to Liam. It would be great to have a place to rail against the corporate world once I go back to work, or commiserate about family woes, but I know the site has infiltrated the extended family and the office now - time to reconsider. (Again, in my quest to emulate Dooce I am only willing to go so far). And now that I’ve said my piece, it’s time for me to go back to the first few months’ worth of posts and check them out, and possibly even do a little editing: it's time to reconsider now that I know it's out there...

0 comments: