Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The shots heard round the world (not really)


I woke up filled with dread yesterday morning - it was time for Liam's four-month checkup. Not that I expected him to fail his physical or anything like that - but following the physical he got his second round of shots. The first round, which happened at two months, did not go so well. Not unless you consider a screaming, agitated, hurt and bleeding baby a success.

This round of shots went much better. Liam got the same two pokes as last time. Part of the success is owed (I think) to a different nurse who administered them - I'm not terribly fond of the regular nurse - and I also think that I did a better job of pinning Liam down (must come with practise!) as I think I let him flail too much last time, which probably explained some of the bleeding. Liam took the first shot with just a quivery lip, and while he did cry during the second one (which the nurse said to expect, as that vaccine burns more), he stopped the minute I picked him up.

Here he is with his little battle scars - a bandaid on each thigh (although you can only see one in the photo). He was kind of cranky for the rest of the day. Can hardly blame him.

The excellent news we received at the appointment is that Liam is ready for the jogging stroller already! Yee haw. I've been running in the basement on the treadmill while he naps, which hasn't been a lot of fun. (a) I hate the treadmill, even with 70+ channels of cable television available; and (b) I can rarely do more than 3 miles while Liam naps before he wakes up. So today I am taking my little gaffer out for his first run. We'll try 3 miles and see how it goes. Who knows, if all is well he may complete my half marathon training program with me.

0 comments: