Wednesday, August 17, 2005

The initiation


(Thanks to Jenn for the self-portrait of Liam and herself, which she took while babysitting a couple of weeks ago!)

Liam and I went for our first run together this week. With genes like his, you know a run was bound to happen sooner or later. Chad and I both run, as do his mom and my dad; many members of Chad’s extended family run; and his aunt and uncle were once nationally-ranked athletes who now own a running store (Runner's Choice) and direct a series of races every summer. You really can't get away from it in a family like ours.

Five years ago, when I was 25, I ran a half marathon. I distinctly remember vowing never to do it again the minute I crossed the finish line. I didn't even make a vow like that after giving birth. So don't ask me why I decided this year, having turned 30, that it was time to do it again. If you've been following along, you probably know that my weekend long runs are going OK but that my midweek runs are really suffering. I should be doing more mileage than I am, but Liam sleeps in 3-miles increments it seems, no more. So that's all I've been able to pound out on the treadmill from Monday til Friday thus far.

This week Dr. Bailey gave us the OK to use the jogging stroller for actual running, which made me very happy (although there goes my excuse - on the days when I don't want to run, it's very nice to be able to blame it on baby!) We've been out a few times with it. For my running, it's been great. I can go out at my favourite time of day (early morning), go as far as I want, etc. There are a few drawbacks of course - you really feel the weight you're pushing in a stroller when you run. When I walk with it, I don't feel like I'm 'doing' anything, but when I run with the stroller I come home absolutely exhausted. I think this is in part due to the fact that I miss the momentum from pumping my arms. Anyway, it's hard work, but I figure that will only make it easier when I run without the stroller, which is definitely how I intend to finish the half marathon.

The problem - there's always a catch, isn't there? - is that the running is wreaking havoc with Liam. We had this perfect schedule nailed down. Up at 7, nap at 9, during which I run, up at 9:45, take him out for a walk at 11 during which he catnaps, true nap again at 1:30 and 4, bed at 7. Day in and day out, this was working for us. He was even sleeping through the night.

The last couple of days - our Running Outside Together days - have gone like this: up at 7, outside for a run by 8, during which he catnaps, then stay awake all day long getting progressively more miserable and cranky, go to bed miserable at 9, get up again at 11 p.m. just as Chad and I have gone to sleep, get up another time or two during the night and then get up the following day at some ungodly hour between 5 and 6.

Clearly, this is not working for us.

I'm not sure what to do. Do I stick with it and see if we settle into a better routine or do I throw in the towel and get back on the treadmill? The half marathon is (gulp) only a month away. I suppose once it's over, it will be much less of an issue, but for now I think the more high quality training I can get in, the less likely I am to back out of the whole deal (I have not registered yet - this is still a definite possibility.)

As for Liam, he seems to enjoy the runs well enough - he's asleep within a couple of minutes of starting. There's a kiddy trot at almost every race we go to so one of these days he'll have to start taking our training more seriously - because soon enough he'll be lining up at the starting line, too.

0 comments: