Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Confessions of a Shopaholic and, if you thought Halloween was bad, wait until you hear about Christmas


Yesterday we made one of our biweekly jaunts to Walmart. (I can hear the non-suburbanites amongst you snorting in disgust; don't think I can't.) We are heading up to Muskoka later in the week, and needed to stock up on Liam's travelling pants (also known as disposable diapers) and a few other things for the trip. While there, I got to wandering. Liam has a good time taking in aisle after aisle of crapola. (Plus a few good and educational things - like a swing through the pet department to see the fish tanks...)

Anyway, we wound up in the baby department, where I started to check out such things as rice cereal and teething biscuits, and then it was onto toys. Why is it that I cannot resist getting Liam stuff?? Today we brought home a set of soft toy blocks and a rubber duckie for the bathtub. Just a few dollars for each, and what sort of childhood is complete without a rubber duckie, and Penelope Leach recommends a set of soft blocks as a plaything for babies Liam's age, so it's justifiable right?... but if I'm this bad now, what's it going to be like when he is old enough to ask for these things himself?

And, I have to admit, we swung through the big toy department also. I'm drafting a plan for Liam for Christmas. Let me preface this by saying that the Sears Christmas Wish Catalogue arrived at our house this week, and if that's not a catalyst to get you thinking about Christmas, I don't know what is. From the catalogue we had picked out a set of Fisher-Price Little People - the Zoo version. (There's a zoo, farm, castle, dollhouse, gas station, village... a whole set of interchangeable pieces.) The Zoo is rated for ages 2-5, but there is a mini-zoo intended for younger kids, that you can then add onto the big set if you have both some day. So that's on the list. Of course, it's about ten bucks cheaper to buy it at Walmart than at Sears. (Chad and I are also feeling anti-Sears these days. We went to pick up the new car seat on the weekend - no small feat, getting the three of us down there, ready to make a big purchase - but they couldn't process our gift card because the system was down. So we went home empty-handed. Whatever.) So, I almost had the mini-Zoo in the cart today, but restrained myself at the last minute...

It may be early to be Christmas shopping already, but there's nothing worse than doing it in December. And with toys, it's the kind of thing you can pick up months in advance - it's not like styles come and go, or sizes change. AND, if you split it out over several months then the financial whammy isn't so bad, right? AND ...I just can't help it. I have a slightly OCDish tendency to plan things out way too far in advance.

2 comments:

megan said...

Be careful or else your basement will end up like mine. Have you seen the Noah's Ark little people play set? So cute! It would make a great Christmas gift from someone.

Carrie said...

No, I didn't see that one! Uh oh... I see that in our future too(pretty much anything with animals will be in our future, if Chad has his way.)