Monday, January 09, 2006

Back to school

Today marks the first day of my first term back to school since having Liam. This is going to be another subject that falls under that finding balance resolution thing. I take courses toward my B. Comm via correspondence, and those who know me well know that I am unavailable for anything - anything - in the two weeks leading up to the exam, because generally speaking I do not even crack open the textbook until that time. And then, I spend two frantic weeks staying up late, reading madly and convinced that I am going to fail (and failure = no tuition reimbursement, which would suck). This term, obviously, I do not have two weeks to devote all waking non-work hours (because yes, I will be back to work full time by then) to cramming in the area of Operations Management. So my big goal is to keep on top of this course. Do the weekly readings - get this - weekly. Doesn't sound like much, but it's a completely different approach than what I'm used to taking. The upshot, I hope, is that the recurring dream I often have (the one in which I am back at Queen's, and it's the end of term, and I realize that I was supposed to have taken a chemistry course but I never attended even one class, and now I am going to have to pass the final (in addition to the other 5 finals I'm preparing for) or else not graduate - I have this dream all the time when an exam approaches) will not materialize for once - and maybe I will finally, at the age of 30, have developed some good study habits by the time all is said and done.

0 comments: