Sunday, January 22, 2006

The business of being Liam

Liam very much enjoys playing with his toys - especially the fun new stuff he got for Christmas - but at 9+ months old, he is ready to get a little more serious. These days he spends a lot of his time engaged not in play, but in work. This means that he is out there exploring and discovering and trying to learn about as much as he can about the world around him.

When you boil it down, what this really means (at least for Chad and I) is that he is into absolutely everything. It's not as bad as it could be, because he isn't crawling yet and so is still easy to keep tabs on - but he is at his happiest when he is pulling everything he can off the shelves, or emptying out the wastepaper basket (the one pictured above is in the office - luckily it's got scrap paper in it, but nothing else), or rummaging through the clean laundry. He has not yet discovered the Tupperware drawer in the kitchen, but I don't imagine that's too far off. This is definitely the kind of baby activity I pictured in my mind before we had him, and I am glad to see him becoming more engaged in the world around him - but one of these days I am sure I will scream if I have to put the books back on the shelf one more time.

We have been calling him Monkey for some time, but I think a more appropriate name now would be Curious George...

0 comments: