Friday, January 13, 2006

O Sleep, I hardly knew ye

About two weeks ago, Liam started sleeping through the night again, and the change was immediately noticeable: I wasn't tired and bitchy by about 10 a.m. anymore. I was sure that this was the end of my sleepless nights - the kiss of death, right, assuming that anything was a sure thing. After a week of him sleeping through, I decided last weekend to cut out one of his nursing sessions each day, and replace it with a snack. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but after two days of that, he has been up every night again, demanding to be fed. (Even before he started sleeping through, the wakings had progressed from feeding wakings to simple rocking-back-to-sleep wakings). I have been trying to stuff as much food down his throat as I can during the day to compensate, and I have to believe that a bowl full of applesauce and many handfuls of goldfish crackers are more filling than a quick snack on the boob; but apparently, I may be wrong.

(Yes, I'm aware that today is his nine-month birthday and I should be doing the monthly update; but seeing as I have not written anything yet, and this is the only photo I have of him so far today, that's going to have to wait at least until tomorrow.)

1 comments:

megan said...

It may not be the food he is missing but the urge to suck which is also very important. Since he has not gotten into the soother thing (good for you Liam) he may need a replacement if you are trying to ween. Have you been giving him formula (in a bottle) at all? If you are against that you could try water. The thing is he still will need milk of some kind and cannot have cow milk for another 3 months. Just a thought.