Sunday, January 01, 2006

Finding balance

We spent New Year's Eve as we spend most nights, with a fun-filled dinner (on the menu: squished peas, chicken, cereal, and prunes), a rousing rendition of Naked Playtime, a bath and then bed (around 7:30 for Liam and about 12:01 for Chad and I). This morning I took Liam out for a walk, and as we walked I was thinking about New Year's Eve from a few years ago, when we met up with two other couples in Ottawa for a raucous night of fun. Times have changed; all of us had babies in 2005, and I'd be willing to bet that their nights were just as quiet (or nearly so) as ours.

Liam decided to celebrate New Year's Day by popping a new tooth: top right front, the sixth tooth to come through in three weeks. He's been a busy little guy.

Normally I don't fall into making resolutions, but this year I have decided to. For me, 2006 is going to be all about finding balance. I could list a dozen goals here, but if I can just find balance in my life, then I think they will all fall into place. I would like to be able to say that this year, I finished each day having spent the appropriate amount of time and energy on each facet of my life - family, work, self, whatever - that circumstances require. Finding balance is an awfully succinct way to sum up what I'm sure will amount to a major challenge. But it's a new year - I think I'm up for it.

0 comments: