Monday, March 05, 2007

37 weeks

37 weeks today, which puts me at officially full term. This scares the bejeesus out of me. Partly because there is so much left to do; I still don’t have my stuff packed for the hospital, still don’t have anything waterproof on my bed in case my water breaks in the middle of the night. (Maybe this is just because I don’t want to jinx myself – I made the preparations last time, and my water didn’t break until I had already been in labour for 13 hours. So I keep thinking there is no way it will happen without some prior notice this time around!) We need to install the car seat. I need to remember what I’m supposed to bring to the hospital versus what they provide.

With Liam I felt so much more organized; maybe I just paid more attention. I read books and we went to classes. This time around, it’s been easy to wave off as been there done that – but then I can’t remember how we did things with Liam after all. With him it also didn’t seem so strange. I know making the leap from no kids to one is supposed to be the life altering event, but with him it seemed pretty natural, whereas the thought of going from 3 of us to 4 still seems foreign, even if it’s imminent.

The good news is that Gramma and Grampa Cook came home from Arizona on the weekend. Besides the fact that Liam was delighted to see them, I’m glad that we now have volunteers in place to take Liam while we’re at the hospital. If anything had happened last week, I would have had to make a decision about who to call at 3 a.m. to bail us out. Now, that’s a given. (I just hope we don’t have any false alarms!)

The other good news is that this is hopefully my last Monday for a very, very long time. I was thinking about what had to get done today in the shower this morning, and I finally got around to starting it around 3 p.m. – before that it was just one issue after another. It’s going to be hard making a break from work, and I might wind up back in the office for a few hours here and there, or working from my laptop at home for a bit. Luckily there is an end in sight that will eventually make the break for me. Sooner or later Mother Nature will intervene, and then it will be 24/7 work of an entirely different kind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a phone right by the bed - NEVER hesitate to call if you need someone (or something) London isn't that far, you know!

(we are getting VERY excited for our new niece to arrive!)

Dawn said...

You look gorgeous! I hope for 3 more of these photos so you can finish "preparing", though I think you are ready, everything will fall into place. Though throwing a plastic tablecloth under your sheets isn't a bad idea, you know, just in case!

megan said...

I agree, you look great, and you could have called me in the middle of the night, no problem. The room really does look cream now that the blue is gone! I cannot wait to meet little miss, I just hope she comes after my cold sore is gone so that I can actually touch her.