Thursday, March 22, 2007

A direct Dr. Bailey quote

"Things don't look promising."

I'm taking this with a grain of salt (even though I am growing increasingly anxious as my widget counts down). With Liam she first said he would be early, then she said he would be late. She also estimated him to be both under 6 lbs and over 8 (he was born at 7.2). Given the fact that I've never been the type to get any of the work of labour out of the way beforehand... I'm not counting on it happening now.

She did, however, strip my membranes, which doesn't seem to have done anything for the advancement of labour, but hurt like hell.

Liam and I got out of the house early today, before the rain came, for a brisk walk downtown (both to try to get things moving, and to drop off my ROE at the EI office). Later on we went out to pick up a few groceries and check out a local party supply store to stock up for Liam's birthday. He was amenable to wearing his new raincoat and boots this morning - up until now, he's been telling me he doesn't want new boots - and also settled into the double stroller well for our walk. (We tried it for the first time on the weekend, and he didn't seem too sure about it then.)

Anyway... that's where we stand. Maybe it's just as well: one of Chad's coworkers was at a local OB's office this morning, and reported back to him that her doctor has already delivered 2 babies this morning, and has 3 more on the verge. I think there are only about 7 L&D rooms at the hospital. (Yes, they would force someone who's already delivered out if we went in; I just rather liked the fact that, last time, we had the place entirely to ourselves.) This is probably the March Break baby rush that Dr. Bailey warned me about, just happening a week late.

1 comments:

Dawn said...

Yeah, the membrane strippage.......I had that done with Noah and I swear I hit the ceiling! It DID put me into labor though, I still needed pitocin when I got to the hospital for my scheduled induction 13 hours later but was happy to find out that I was already indeed IN labor.