Thursday, March 29, 2007

Hopes go astray

I wish I could say I've been absent lately because I've been in the hospital, but that's not the case. Actually, it's been more like a mild case of depression that has held me at bay. Yesterday I had another check in with Dr. Bailey. It seems that I have made negative progress since last week (I have never heard of such a thing, have you?), she thinks it very unlikely that I will deliver in the coming week, and we started talking about induction.

This upsets me on a whole bunch of levels.

* I totally don't want to be induced. I am just so, so, so against it.
* This is my third week off work, and still no baby!
* Induction would be on Easter weekend. Because really, when better to be stuck in the hospital than over a holiday weekend?
* At this point, I think my hopes for a March baby are pretty much out the window. The odds of Little Miss sharing a birthday with her father, her brother or (heaven forbid) April Fool's Day are rising significantly.

In the grand scheme of things, I know there are greater tragedies in the world and that none of this matters very much. It matters a whole lot more that Little Miss gets here at all, and that hopefully, her debut is a safe and healthy one. Still... the universe is not unfolding as I expected it to, and it isn't sitting well with me.

So... we've been out walking, and walking, and walking. I had half a mind to jump on the treadmill and run a couple of miles during Liam's nap yesterday afternoon; maybe that really is how I evicted him so quickly. (Bear in mind it's been at least a month since I last ran - since before we all got so sick). Alas, the nap never happened, so the run didn't, either. (Not that I think I'd really be capable of it at this point.)

There is one last hope I have left. My doula called this morning to say she's been called out of town and doesn't expect to be back until tomorrow. Until then, she's given us the name and number of a backup partner of hers. I figure if anything is going to happen this week (let alone this month), it will be when our best laid plans have the most opportunity to go astray... and it sounds like this could be it.

When Liam wakes up, we're going out for another walk.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you can get ahold of your doula, ask her to tell you about the pressure point on your leg or ankle (I can't recall exactly where it is) that can stimulate contractions. My doula massaged that point on my legs and it did strengthen my contractions.

If you can stand it, sex AND orgasm can help bring things on. "O" because of the uterine contractions, and there's a chemical in semen that helps ripen the cervix. Sorry for being so graphic, but hey - I understand why you don't want to wait.

I ended up with a high break in my water when going into labor with Em, meaning my contractions didn't intensify on their own. I really wanted a natural birth and was very afraid of induction. When we started getting too close to the deadline of having full labor after the water breaking, they broke my water and started pitocin. Pitocin can be really nasty, but if you need to be induced you can ask them to start with a small amount first. They'll usually honor that and can turn it off after things get going.

My thoughts are with you. I had a dream about you and my SIL last night (SIL due 3/30). Both of you had babies on the same day. I hope that's a good sign for both of you, I know she's not at work today.

Anonymous said...

I've got my fingers crossed for you! :)

Anonymous said...

Alright, Carrie - my SIL had her baby around 4 this afternoon. I was right about her - hopefully good things will start happening for you soon!

Carrie said...

Your lucky SIL - early!!!! I really shouldn't complain though, that was me last time.

Well, there's one more day left in March - I still have a window of opportunity. :)