Friday, March 30, 2007

In need of distraction

Today, when we weren't out walking laps around the city, we pulled some stuff together for Liam's birthday party. I can't believe it's time for another one of these - I think this year went by even faster than last (the past two weeks notwithstanding).

When we originally began thinking about a party, we considered a kids' party, and I'm glad now that we're going the family route instead. I don't know what kind of shape I will be in come April 14th, but I am growing more and more sure that I won't be feeling up to entertaining or chasing around a bunch of toddlers. One will be enough! And hopefully our families won't mind if we eat on paper and plastic, and all the food comes from our local Subway and/or grocery store take-out. And you never know... depending on how things play out, we might need to call them up right before the party to defer it. Easier to mess with our families' minds than our friends'. :)

Given the amount of free time I've had lately, you'd think I would have been able to come up with a party invitation, but I couldn't think of anything myself so I ordered some online. They finally arrived today, and I got them addressed during Liam's nap and then we went to the post office (on foot, of course - thank goodness it hasn't been pouring rain all week, or I don't know what I'd do) when he woke up to mail them. I also finished up favours for the party during his nap, and during one of our forays out on foot, we hit a new dollar store and finally found the streamers, dishware and balloons I'd been hoping for. We also confirmed our cake pan rental. So all in all it was a successful party-planning day.

Now let's just hope the event actually happens! Lately Liam has been very into the birthday talk (partly on account of Chad's coming up first), and he knows that he is one now and will be turning two, and he's looking forward to it. It's a real long shot that we'd be in the hospital on April 14th, but the possibility exists... so I'm bracing myself for that exact scenario... just in case.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad at least you're getting this stuff wrapped up - fewer things to worry about and all. I'm sure your family will be able to help with the party if needed, and frankly sometimes getting someplace to take care of the food is more than worth it. I was going to grill for Em's party this year until I discovered it would cost less to have the local bbq place do the work. GO FIGURE.

Sending quick, healthy labor and delivery thoughts your way.

Dawn said...

Less than 24 hours until that April birthstone kicks in! Since you will have 3 diamond birthdays close to your heart I feel a 3-stone ring or pendant may be in order.....