Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The changing seasons

TV seasons, that is. It's September and the new fall lineup is more or less upon us. My one consolation for the fact that Chad was away for our anniversary last week was the fact that Thursday night TV was returning to its former glory. The new season of Survivor kicked off, and although I had planned to get Liam to bed and then watch Jiffy Pop and an all-new cast o' stars settle in for another season of reality schlock, I didn't watch it. I think I am finally off the Survivor bandwagon. I was on in the early days, then off, then got back on for a couple of seasons once the All Star version aired, and now I'm off again. It's not doing it for me. Which is just as well - there's another hour of my life back every week.

All was not lost that night, though, since I am newly addicted to The L Word, which just started season number two here (though they're probably on season number four in the US). This is my new Thursday night guilty pleasure and without Chad around to grumble about how I tend to watch The Worst Crap Ever, I really enjoyed myself.

Of course, tonight I will be through the stratosphere as the new season of Lost kicks off. For anyone who doesn't watch but is interested, I've heard that the first three or so episodes are intended to serve as a recap of the entire first season before really getting into the good stuff. My heart was literally racing during the season finale last spring, so you know I won't miss that!

Having watched bits and pieces of the new Martha show, I have to say I'm a little disappointed. While I enjoy her continual references to prison - she had Susan Lucci on last week, who was referring to the fact that her soap opera character has also spent time in prison, and Martha acted all aghast and said she wasn't allowed to consort with convicted felons, it violates a term of her parole - she's terrible at interviewing celebrity guests and I don't think the guests really take to her instructing them on how to repot an orchid or fold a t-shirt all that kindly.

Sorry - I didn't mean to get into a running commentary akin to the TV Guide. As for Liam, well, he will keep an eye on The Today Show with me while we cuddle in bed or get breakfast early in the morning. Aside from that, he is allowed to watch a Baby Einstein video from time to time, as he is doing right now. He watched the Baby Mozart video over and over, and was OK with that - and it's actually kind of nice having a video with no plot, because he can watch it here and there in ten minute increments - but we have since moved onto the Language Nursery video, which I don't get. It's a bunch of visuals (patterns, toys, etc.) with voices reciting nursery rhymes in all different languages as the audio feed. Isn't he supposed to get a handle on English before worrying about German??

1 comments:

Darin & Jenn said...

Did your son suddenly morph into a toddler??? He looks as if you set him down from that high chair he would start running around (well, at least walk) Do i even need to comment on the hair!!? Love and miss you guys!!!