Monday, September 12, 2005

Welcome back, Martha!


Martha Stewart - you love her or you hate her. I fall into the love category. I love the things she does and I think she has impeccable taste. But I also think she's hilarious. She's always been so hoity-toity and full of herself, and I think that makes her funny. But it's gotten even better since she was released from prison - she is actually able to make fun of herself now. I'm not entirely sure that she's comfortable doing it, but she cracks me up with each attempt.

I am not much into daytime TV, the one exception being Cityline. I love Cityline. Not the Health & Beauty Wednesdays, but I love all the other days... Around the House Mondays, Fashion Fridays, and what's inbetween. One advantage to being a SAHM is that one hour a day when I can putz around and get things done, or even just play with Liam, with Cityline on in the background.

I feel like such a traitor for tuning into Martha's new live show this morning instead. They're on at the same time. (There are reruns of both, but I'm trying to limit my hours of TV viewing, not add to the repertoire.) But how could I not? She's back, baby! And it was well worth it. My favourite part was when she was playing cards, and bragging about how she is so good at all kinds of card games. I expected her to go on and say it was because her father used to play games with her at the big pink Formica kitchen table in Nutley, New Jersey - you know, the quintessentially Martha explanation for everything. But no. Her reason for being so good at cards is that she had a book of card games in prison, and had time to learn them all.

Come on, world. How can anyone not like Martha Stewart?

4 comments:

megan said...

I have to say I love her as well. She is as much into tacky seasonal decorating as I am. I am so jealous that you get to watch her new show while I have to work. Maybe I should rethink that third baby, look at all the quality day time TV I could be watching! I am still annoyed about the orange tooth fariy pillow, I guess I'll have to go to frabic land on my lunch, unless you have a a piece of red, pink or orange material at home? Preferably with poka dots. No? All right then, off I go.

Carrie said...

The Martha show airs on TLC at 6 p.m. also... so no need to worry... just stop going to Pump and you're set. I am planning to tune in tonight myself since I missed the first part of her show (I thought it started an hour later) and I really want to see the opening monologue - Martha! Doing a monologue! This, I have to see.

And no... no material along those lines at home. Are you telling me you are sewing a whole new tooth fairy pillow just because the colour was wrong?? You are a great mom!

megan said...

I have learned that it is just easier to do what the kid wants as opposed to fighting with her. I leave the real battles to important issues like indoor/outdoor shoes and the number of pony tails that are appropriate on one head. She has offered the crappy green pillow to Audrey. So sweet!

Darin & Jenn said...

I fall into the love category as well and am more than a little jealous that you get to watch her new show. It is a tough call between her and Cityline but I always caught that on the WI (or A Channel as it is now known)which was reruns anyways (you do what you can with no cable, even in Windsor) Thank goodness for Martha online (I did learn how to fold a t-shirt like Martha - who knew all this time i had been doing it all wrong!)