Monday, September 26, 2005

I promise not to launch into Kumbaya next

NIP (which does not refer to that Seinfeld episode where Elaine sends out a Christmas card flashing all of her friends and family, but does involve flashing) is Nursing In Public, and all my life I swore I wouldn't do it. Yes, I was always of the I can't believe she's doing that for the world to see school of thought. Well, things change. Suddenly I am no longer in control of my own fate. And what I swore I would never do, here on the tiny, empty streets of Chatham, I decided to pull off in front of a few thousand of my closest friends in downtown Toronto. I sat down on a street curb in front of runners and spectators of all kinds, and fed Liam. We had taken the streetcar to a vantage point where we hoped to (and did) see Chad, and there was no way I was going to go back to the grocery store up the street and see if I could feed Liam in a dirty little bathroom stall there, and potentially miss the opportunity to cheer Chad on to boot. So a public display of boobie it was. And you know what? We lived. People didn't point and stare. In fact, they made it pretty obvious that they were trying really really hard to look in the other direction. And as we walked back to the streetcar stop, we sang a little tune.
Come gather round people wherever you roam
And admit that the waters around you have grown
And accept it that soon you'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you is worth saving
Then you'd better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone
For the times, they are a changing

1 comments:

megan said...

I for one am so proud of you. I know the first time is hard to do but you feeding your baby for pete's sake. I think all those mothers who never tried nursing or gave up before they got started because it was too much trouble should be the ones ashamed and hiding in the bathroom stall with their chemical filled formula. Not you doing the most natural thing on earth... Now, do you want to know how I really feel?