Tuesday, September 27, 2005

So it's sort of social. Demented and sad, but social.


Liam has done wonders for my social life, and I mean that in two ways. First of all, he is great company. He is a lot of fun to have along for the ride no matter what is going on. Doing the everyday, running errands - it's all a lot more fun when he's along to talk to and point things out to and teach. Over the last few days, in addition to our normal routine of walks and playtime and stories and so on, we have also gone to pick out pumpkins and mums to decorate our front porch, we've baked cookies together (though in hindsight, this seemed kind of cruel, as Liam was not allowed to lick the bowl - but I did let him chew on the spatula and play with the measuring cups), and this morning I took him running with me again (since I am no longer 'in training' and it no longer matters how fast I am or how far I go).

He's also made me a more social person among other grown ups. Being home with him for these last few months, I have met neighbours on our street that have lived here for years, but our paths just never crossed before. This includes another young mom who lives a few doors down. I have made mommy friends at Liam's playgroup, and I hope to keep in touch with them even as our kids grow older and graduate to different programs and we go back to work. Even at work - there are people who have worked in my building for years that I have never gotten to know before, but I have now, because of Liam - either because of support they've given me, or the fact that they are expecting also and we'll have kids who are the same age, and now we have started emailing and going for lunch and keeping in touch outside of the office. This comes as a particularly pleasant surprise for me because I work mostly with men and have had few opportunities to make girlfriends through work before. Of course, not all of our socializing is with new friends. Old friends are sometimes the very best friends, and I am finally able to do some mommy activities together with them - our Thursday morning swims with Anne and the girls being one of them.

I know a lot of people say that being home with a baby drives you crazy because you are so shut off from the outside world. In one sense, I understand that, because if I want to get out of the house and talk to someone I have to make the effort to do it - I no longer have five meetings scheduled every day that will bring me into contact with thirty different people, whether I want to talk to them or not. But overall, having Liam has made me more social than I have been for a long, long time. I don't find it easy to meet new people, but Liam really seems to have paved the way for me in starting some great new friendships. I get the best of both worlds. I can continue some of the goofy pursuits that I've always loved but never had anyone to share them with because none of my friends were into the same things, only now I have Liam along to keep me company (since he is, so far, too young to complain). And when I need some different companionship, I have a broader group to draw from. Again, had I known this would happen, we may have started having kids a lot sooner! (not really.)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carrie...I am glad to hear that you are making new friends with "similar" interests...namely your kids. I too really enjoyed the social network that I developed being off. Being new to Waterdown I did not know that many people and was challenged at creating new relationships. Sydney also opened doors for me to become connected and develop relationships with other moms. As Liam gets older, you will probably enjoy it more and more because there are more things you can do with him and your new friends. So...don't rush back to work if you don't have to.